#Opinyon #Opinion #GNBCnews
FOR YOUR INFORMATION. The Opinions or Editorials published in this website are reactions to News Articles published by News Media. This exercise is a manifestation that Democracy and Freedom of Expression in the Philippines exists. However, the accuracy and the authenticity of the News Articles published by News Media are of their responsibility and is subject to the governing laws of the Philippine Constitution.
8 in 10 Pinoys satisfied with drug war: SWS
December 23, 2019
MANILA (UPDATE) — Eight in 10 Filipinos remained satisfied with the government’s anti-narcotics campaign, despite doubts on lawmen’s account of the deaths of thousands of drug suspects, according to a Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey released Sunday.
The Sept. 27 to 30 survey of 1,800 adults showed 79 percent were satisfied with the drug war, 15 percent were not, and 6 percent were undecided.
Subtracting the percentage of dissatisfied respondents from the percentage of those who were satisfied yields a “very good” net satisfaction rating of +64, which is 6 points below the excellent +70 in June and March 2019, SWS said.
Net satisfaction with the campaign has always been either a “very good” +50 to +69 or “excellent” in the past 12 survey rounds, hitting a record high of excellent +77 in December 2016, the pollster said.
Among those satisfied with the government’s anti-illegal drugs campaign, their most common reason was “drug suspects have lessened” at 42 percent.
The next most common reasons are “drug suspects have been arrested” at 18 percent, and lessened crime at 11 percent, said SWS.
Meanwhile, 51 percent of those dissatisfied reasoned that “drug trade/drug suspects are still prevalent.” This is 9 points up from the 42 percent in June 2019, said the pollster.
This is followed by “too many killings” at 28 percent, “too many wrongful suspects/arrests/mistaken identities” at 13 percent, and “abuse of power and bias in the operations” at 6 percent.
The same survey found that 29 percent of respondents did not believe that police’s claim that drug suspects killed in operations had resisted arrest or “nanlaban,” while 26 percent said police were telling the truth, and 47 were undecided
This brings the net opinion about the truthfulness, the percentage of those who believed the police minus those who did not, to a net -3, similar to the net +1 in June 2019, said SWS.
“Net opinion about the truthfulness of the police has been at single-digit neutral since it was first asked in December 2016, except for the record-low -20 in September 2017,” it added.
The net truthfulness of the police’s “nanlaban” claims is lowest in Metro Manila at -24, followed by the rest of Luzon at -5, the Visayas at 0, and Mindanao at +11.
Net satisfaction with the government’s campaign against illegal drugs is also highest in Mindanao at excellent +74, followed by very good levels Balance Luzon at +55, Metro Manila at +67, and in the Visayas at +69, said SWS.
The government’s drug war left 5,582 dead and arrested 220,728 suspects from July 1, 2016 to Nov. 30, the police and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) said earlier this month.
The amount of illegal drugs and drug-related materials seized by authorities has reached P40.39 billion of which P31.25 billion is “shabu,” the 2 agencies added.
Malacañang hailed the survey results, saying it is a clear rejection of the criticism against President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.
“This too shall serve as a wake-up call against foreign countries and entities to take their cue from the genuine sentiments of the Filipino people and cease from their continuous affront against our sovereign state with their pretended or feigned concern about human rights,” Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo.
President Duterte’s administration has pursued a fierce campaign against illegal drugs, mostly netting traders and users of shabu.
Last year, Duterte expressed frustration at the difficulty of realizing his 2016 campaign promise of ridding the country of the illegal drug scourge.